The following are recommended actions for victims of identity theft:
- Contact the fraud departments of the three major credit bureaus. Ask to have your credit file flagged with a fraud alert that includes a statement asking creditors to call you before opening new accounts in your name.
- Contact all creditors by phone and in writing to inform them of the problem.
- Call your local police and the nearest U.S. Postal Inspection Service to report the crime.
- Keep a log of all your contacts with creditors and authorities and make copies of all documents.
- Contact the state office of the Department of Motor Vehicles to learn whether another driver's license was issued in your name.